Sunday 20 January 2013

First dividends of 2013 (and 2012 dividends in profile).

Despite being the first month of the year, January has also been my second best month (on a 2 year trend anyway), for dividends received into my portfolio. 
Mind you its not really a surprise when it involves my 2 largest holdings, Rolls-Royce and National Grid, which together represent almost 50% of my portfolio.
The metaphorical thump of these dividends hitting my account is very satisfying.

As at the end of December 2012 the individual weightings were 32.15% and 17.22% respectively (December 2012: Portfolio Update (2012 Year-end).).
The fact that National Grid is one of my highest yielding holdings also helps. 

Anyway, so far this month the portfolio has had the following dividends: 
04 Jan Rolls-Royce @ 7.6p per share.
16 Jan National Grid @ 14.49p per share.

But, as dividends form such a significant part of my current portfolio strategy, I'm actually writing this post with a view to looking at the dividends received last year which gave me a final "actual" yield of 4.32% for 2012.
Put another way, as I currently retain and re-invest all dividend, dividends contributed 4.32% of my gains last year.

Some of you may recall my writing a similar post in January of last year where the 2011 yield, on a lower portfolio valuation, was 3.84% (My first dividend of 2012 (and 2011 dividends in profile).).

So a higher yield on a higher portfolio valuation suggests that my portfolio is making good progress.
At least on the dividend front anyway.

The following chart serves to show the cumulative rate and profile of dividends received up to the 4.32% total.


Click to enlarge, close to return.
And, month by month:

Click to enlarge, close to return.


And, the same month by month chart but this time showing individual blocks of dividends received which helps to highlight January (Rolls-Royce interim and National Grid interim), and August (National Grid final).
For reference, dividends from Rolls-Royce and National Grid delivered 0.7% of dividend yield (or portfolio gains), between them in January, and 1.88% of the total gain in 2012.

Click to enlarge, close to return.

Interestingly, you can also see that Rolls-Royce's final dividend is pushing July into the reckoning for 3rd best along with November whose biggest contribution is from Aviva.

Threats to dividends aside it will be interesting to see how May 2013 looks given that November benefitted from my adding to my holding in Aviva but this additional boost has yet to show through during May.

For the final 2 charts I have tried to compare 2012 with 2011 by using 2011 as the base in order to show the actual increase over and above 2011.
The result being that were I showing it in pound notes, the actual sum received in 2012 represents a 25.39% increase over and above 2011's yield i.e. 2012 is 125.39% of 2011's 100%.

The month by month chart:

Click to enlarge, close to return.

And the cumulative monthly profile chart:




Obviously portfolio holdings increasing their dividends in 2012 has helped provide a strong foundation for the full year. 
And this foundation has been built on as I have re-invested both the dividends received and the funds realised from the sale of my portfolio's holding in Invesco Perpetual (March 2012: Portfolio Update.). Hence the increase in yield over 2011.

Hopefully, I can look forward to the same happening again in 2013, in addition to full year contributions from my 2012 purchases.

There is always the threat that dividends might be cut of course!

Earlier related posts:
December 2012: Portfolio Update (2012 Year-end).
My first dividend of 2012 (and 2011 dividends in profile).
March 2012: Portfolio Update.

No comments:

Post a Comment